Friday, September 01, 2006

Movie Review - The Shop Around the Corner

We recently subscribed to Zip.ca, a subscription service for dvds. It's the Canadian version of Netflix and Blockbuster. We're on a trial subscription right now but we like it and I think we'll do it for at least a few months.

One of the advantages is that we can get classic movies. Our library doesn't have very many and with the current political situation, libraries are not able to ship movies for the library postal rate, which makes it too expensive for them to share movies around. (I may blog about this one day)

Anyway, we received today The Shop around the Corner with James Stewart & Helen Sullavan. The kids and I watched it tonight. You may or not know that You've Got Mail was the remake of this movie.

We really enjoyed it. It's quite clever in the dialogue and although some of the circumstances seemed a little contrived, overall it was very believable. It's in black and white (or "grey" as my five year old put it) but after a minute or so, you don't notice it anymore.

I always enjoy Jimmy Stewart and I'm glad to have had the opportunity to see this movie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favourite movies. It was also remade as a musical starring Judy Garland and, I think, Van Johnson. I can't think of the name of that one off hand, but it is just as charming as the Jimmy Stewart original, and much closer to the original story than "You've Got Mail." In the Judy Garland version, the two work in a music store, which is one reason I enjoy that version so much. :)