Friday, September 01, 2006

Explaining the Title

Years ago, I read an article by Mrs. Chancy at the Ladies Against Feminism site. I copied this down a few years ago and have often reflected on the truths in this short paragraph. The article is excellent too.

Why is folding laundry any more "mindless" than filing a pile of paperwork
stacked in an office in-box? Why is the artful arrangement of furniture less
creative than drawing up a spreadsheet? Why do we believe that it takes no
brains to raise intelligent, honorable children while it requires tactical
brilliance to manage employees in the corporate world? We have foolishly
capitulated over the past century by saying, "Oh, I’m just a housewife." Or we
overcompensate by trying to make a list of reasons that being a housewife is
like holding a "real" job: "I’m a chef, taxi driver, plumber, personal shopper,
appliance repairman, financial counselor, time management expert, etc., etc., ad
nauseum." I think the inimitable Tasha Tudor puts it best: "Whenever I get one
of those questionnaires and they ask what is your profession, I always put down
housewife. It’s an admirable profession, why apologize for it? You aren’t stupid
because you’re a housewife. When you’re stirring the jam you can read
Shakespeare." [quoted from The Private World of Tasha Tudor]


Truth be told, there is lots to running a home, let alone adding in all the rest of the activities that many of us do. My mom always said that she never understood how anyone could be bored at home - she always found lots to do. Certainly when I look around my house, I see much to accomplish and not all of it is drudgery, either! Okay, putting away the laundry can be drudgery sometimes, but as a Christian woman trying to please my Lord in everything I do, I try to have a good attitude about even putting away the laundry.

The other thing about the title of the blog that I like is that it serves to introduce two subjects close to my heart - cooking and reading!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I love this piece! I'm going to link it. I think it's a well-needed reminder.

When I have lots of "domestic" stuff to do, I find that I think while I'm doing it.