Wednesday, January 17, 2007

A Fantasy Book Meme

I got this from the Deputy Headmistress, who in turn got it from someone else, who ...

Mark the selections you have read in bold. If you liked it, add a star [*] in front of the title, if you didn't, give it a minus [-]. Then, put the total number of books you've read in the subject line.

The Chronicles of Prydain - Alexander, Lloyd
Carrie's War - Bawden, Nina
Death of a Ghost - Butler, Charles
Ender's Game - Card, Orson Scott I'm actually just finishing this today- I haven't decided yet if I like it
Summerland - Chabon, Michael
King of Shadows - Cooper, Susan
- The Dark is Rising sequence - Cooper, Susan - (I didn't like any of these books.) Stonestruck - Cresswell, Helen
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Dahl, Roald (I can't actually say when I read this but I'm sure I must have in elementary school. I remember reading James & the Giant Peach so I suspect I read this one too)
Matilda - Dahl, Roald
Ingo - Dunmore, Helen
The Sea of Trolls - Farmer, Nancy
Madame Doubtfire - Fine, Anne
Corbenic - Fisher, Catherine
***Inkheart - Funke, Cornelia (Funke is a wonderful writer. We really enjoyed the sequel to this, and another one as well - Dragon Rider.)
*The Thief Lord - Funke, Cornelia
The Owl Service - Garner, Alan
Happy Kid! - Gauthier, Gail
Stormbreaker - Horowitz, Anthony
Whale Rider - Ihimaera, Witi
Finn Family Moomintroll - Jansson, Tove
Fire and Hemlock - Jones, Diana Wynne (I have read another one by Jones and plan to start working through the series.)
* The Phantom Tollbooth - Juster, Norton
* The Sheep Pig - King Smith, Dick
Stig of the Dump - King, Clive
-A Wizard of Earthsea - Le Guin, Ursula (Again, read it in highschool, remember not liking it and haven't picked up a title by her since)
**The Voyage of the Dawn Treader - Lewis, C S (And the whole Narnia series. I think Prince Caspian is my favourite)
The House at Norham Gardens - Lively, Penelope
Goodnight Mister Tom - Magorian, Michelle
The Changeover - Mahy, Margaret
The Stones are Hatching - McCaughrean, Geraldine
The White Darkness - McCaughrean, Geraldine
*Beauty - McKinley, Robin (again, a great writer. I really like her other series as well - The Blue Sword? is the title, I think)
Sabriel - Nix, Garth
* The Borrowers - Norton, Mary
Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - O'Brien, Robert
Z for Zachariah - O'Brien, Robert
A Dog So Small - Pearce, Philippa
Life As We Knew It - Pfeffer, Susan Beth
A Hat Full of Sky - Pratchett, Terry
His Dark Materials sequence - Pullman, Philip (haven't read them but have heard enough negatives about them to have no desire to start)
How I Live Now - Rosoff, Meg
*Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Rowling, J K (and the rest of the series!)
* Holes - Sachar, Louis
The Foreshadowing - Sedgwick, Marcus
Marianne Dreams - Storr, Catherine
When the Siren Wailed - Streatfield, Noel
The Bartimaeus Trilogy - Stroud, Jonathan (this series is a little darker than others. I would recommend it but with a few caveats)
* The Hobbit - Tolkien, J R R (which serves as an introduction to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, which I prefer to The Hobbit).
* Charlotte's Web - White, E B

The nice thing about this list is not what I have already read but what I haven't read. My kids are always on the lookout for new fantasy and this gives us a place to start.

No comments: