Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Disclaimer

A few days ago, I recommended I Don't Know How She Does it. I had read it a few years ago, and although I did warn my readers that there might be some vulgar language, I feel like I need to issue a little stronger warning. I got it from the library again soon after I posted that list and have been reading it. The language is quite vulgar in places; read it according to your own sensitivities & convictions!

That being said, I am struck once again by the thoughtfulness of the main character as she reflects on her children, her marriage and her job. As I read, I wish she would change her life to reflect this thoughtfulness but at the same time, there are valuable reflections on the nature of motherhood. Even though I am a stay-at-home mom who homeschools, I can still identify with feeling like I have to keep up with other moms and I can also identify with the pride that says I have to do things a certain way or I can't be a good mom. And the pride that judges other moms if they don't do things quite the way I think they should be done.

I'm still recommending the book but with an even stronger warning about language. Perhaps if you own the book, you could do what the Deputy Headmistress tells us about in this post - whiteout is a wonderful invention!

1 comment:

Rebecca Stark said...

Hi Juanita,

Could you email me? (If you don't have my email address, it's in the sidebar of my blog.) I want to ask you a question, but I lost your email address.

Rebecca