Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Summer Reading Challenge


Seasonal Soundings is encouraging us all to read over the summer with her Summer Reading Challenge. Here are the books I'm hoping to get through:
On Teaching the Piano - by Hetty Bolton. I've read this before but since I'm going back to some piano teaching in the fall, I thought it was a good time to reread it. I'm about halfway through.
Rhythmics, Dynamics, Pedal - by Leimer-Gieseking. As above.
Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student - Corbett. I won't complete this before the end of the summer as I'm participating in an online study group that will go until February but I will be reading this weekly. We're working through logic this week.
Great Books - my son will be doing Great Books II with Schola Classical Tutorials this fall. Since I wasn't very successful last year in keeping up with the reading, I'd like to do the majority of it this summer. We'll see how that works. (You can all stop snickering now, unless you want to look at this cartoon.)
Wow, that list does look a little daunting. I think I should be checking the study guides to see if the students will be reading all the pages.
For our summer book club:
Winter Birds - by Jamie Langston Turner
In my morning devotions
A Call to Commitment - a commentary on Hebrews by William Lane. I'm at ch. 3-4 and it's very interesting. It's funny but I hadn't really thought about reading commentaries until I saw it mentioned on girltalk. Then I was scanning bookshelves downstairs and discovered this one.
You will notice there is very little fiction on that list. That's because I read fiction all the time, whether it's on the list or not. I have been reading through Patricia Veryan's books again, and I am at the point of needing to read all of her Riddle books (not my favourites out of hers but I'll force myself to read them again...).
Sheesh, some of those covers just scream "romance novel". Veryan's books are romance, true, but her writing is much better than most romance novels. And there are no icky bits. I enjoy her characters & stories.
I'll be interested to see what I manage to get through this summer! Maybe this list is why I rarely write down what I plan to read!

3 comments:

Kim said...

I'm going to try and set my standards a little lower this summer, because I always end up not finishing things. Here's my list so far:

Norms and Nobility (as per your suggestion!)
The Vanishing Conscience (John MacArthur)
Mere Christianity (reading this with our daugher)
Damsels in Distress (Martha Peace)
Reason to Believe (R.C. Sproul)
War of Words (Paul Tripp)

And I'm going to work very hard on finishing Existence and Attributes of God this summer.

I might try to read Epic of Gilgamesh.

Janie said...

Hi Juanita,

I've got you linked now at Seasonal Soundings!

I love the comic you posted.

Happy Reading!
Janie

Anonymous said...

Hi Juanita,
I've been reading Classical Rhetoric by Corbett. It's slow going. However, I've found that with the liberal use of a highlighter and notes in the margin, I'm slowly making headway. I know that I will be happy I persevered in the end. :)