Tuesday, May 07, 2013

The Hidden Art of Homemaking - Chapter 2

From this website 
Chapter 2 - What is Hidden Art?

Mrs. Schaeffer begins the chapter by saying,

"I would define 'Hidden Art' as the art which is found in the 'minor' areas of life. By 'minor' I mean what is involved in the 'everyday' of anyone's life, rather than his career or profession. Each person, I believe, has some talent which is unfulfilled in some 'hidden area' of his being, and which could be expressed and developed."

I really like this idea of a "hidden area" of creativity. And that it doesn't have to be part of one's career or profession. It seems that these days, activities don't count unless one is paid for them.
But secondly, and more importantly, the assumption is made that only what is perceived to be "crafts" or DIY types of things are the only ways to be creative in one's life.

Third, I think we have a tendency to put creative activities on the back burner and do only what keeps us busy. The "Tyranny of the Urgent" often takes over our lives.

I personally find that if I don't have creative elements in my week, after a while, I feel more frazzled and frantic. Taking time to do something creative gives me time to breathe. And then the rest of the day goes much more smoothly.

The other part of creativity and living artistically is that everyone is different. I really enjoy handcrafts, music and cooking. However, I am not gifted in decorating. Others use their creativity in far different ways. How wonderful that God created us all differently and that we can express it in so many different ways. I'm looking forward to thinking about all the different areas of creativity as we progress through the book.

Final quotes:

"All art requires conscious discipline." (p. 32) - As I write this post a week late and have cello practice hanging over my head - discipline is definitely needed!

"But - and this needs emphasis - a Christian, above all people, should live artistically, aesthetically, and creatively." (p. 32 - author's emphasis).



No comments: